About this log-in demo
This is a demonstration of a fairly simple sign-up/log-in system. The user data is stored in a database. Note that for enhanced security the password is not stored in the database; a forgotten password cannot be recovered from the database - a new one has to be created.
The system comprises a suite of 5 forms, listed below. There is also another page - not shown here - for creating the database.
This is an interactive demonstration, so have a go! You can sign up and login to see the messages that are generated.
A successful log-in will take you to the 'private area'. There are only two pages in this area - to show session-handling and time-out. The duration of the session is not timed in this example, although it could be on request. The session automatically closes if there has been no activity for a set period; in the example here this is set to 20 seconds so that you can test the process.
• the email functions have been disabled;
• the password is shown in plain text. In the real version, the password would be shown in the usual way - a series of black discs.
• titles, font, colours, etc can, of course, be changed. See form 1b for an example of different styling.
- Sign-up: minimum information required is: user name, password, and email address. Other information that could be required include: first and last names (as shown here). On sign-up, a confirmation email is sent to the address given. See Possible refinements for an alternative to this arrangement.
- Log-in: minimum information required is: user name and password.
- Forgotten password: minimum information required is user name. An activation is generated and sent to the email address in the database.
- Activation: (after forgotten password); minimum information needed: username, activation code and new password.
- Updates: Allows people to change login-on details and email address. Minimum information needed (in this example): present username, present password.
For this demo: click on the links below to visit the individual pages
The embedded 'KamPages' logo font is Cantarell Bold
, from Font Squirrel